One alternative to vocational training could be to study at a higher education institution in Germany. There are different types of higher education institutions in Germany.

- Universities
These offer a wide range of degrees. Universities do not only pass on knowledge - they also open up research opportunities.

- Colleges/ universities of applied sciences
These colleges and universities of applied sciences are mostly focused on technical/engineering, economics and social science subjects. Colleges/universities of applied sciences are generally more practically-orientated than universities.

- Music and art colleges
These specialise specifically in visual, creative and performing arts.

Here's what you need to know if you would like to go on to study:

  • You can request information about individual degree courses from careers advice centres of employment agencies or directly from the universities and colleges. You should also take the opportunity to meet and discuss individual degree courses or student life with other students.

  • To be able to study at a higher education institution in Germany, you need to have a university entrance qualification. For this you must be able to provide evidence (with original documents if possible) of whether the education certificate you hold is sufficient for you to study at a higher education institution in Germany. The assessment and decision are made by the international academic offices of the higher education institutions.

  • You will generally also be required to pass a language test before you are admitted to the degree course.