My child already graduated in our home country. Will the certificate be recognised?

School completion certificates obtained in foreign countries can be recognised under certain circumstances. They are recognised as comparable to a German certificate. 

The accreditation office (Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle) for each state decides whether your certificate is comparable to a German Hauptschulabschluss (lower secondary school), a mid-level certificate (a so-called 'Realschulabschluss') or a general or subject-specific qualification to attend higher education for vocational purposes (e.g. to begin vocational training). The accreditation is free of charge.

On the other hand, the universities are responsible for the recognition of school completion certificates for the purpose of attending university (“Abitur”).

A fee is charged for this accreditation. Ask whether the employment agency (Agentur für Arbeit) or your Job Centre can cover the costs.