How can I join an inte­gration course?

For participating in an integration course, you need

  • a residence permit for at least one year with
  • date of issuance no longer than one year ago.

In case you received your residence permit more than one year ago, you are entitled to participate in an integration course only in exceptional circumstances.

You might even be obligated to participate in the integration course.

For signing up for the course, you need a certificate of eligibility (Berechtigungsschein). This certificate is valid for one year.

  • When you are obligated to join the integration course, you will receive the certificate of eligibility from your immigration authority (Ausländerbehörde).
  • When you are not obligated, but still would like to participate, you need to ask the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) about it. You find the form of this application of admission (only in German!) on the website of BAMF. Hand in your completed request form at your regional advice office. Check the website of BAMF to find the next regional advice office. Here you will receive your certificate of eligibility for the integration course.

As a next step, you can choose where exactly you would like to take the course. Look online for course providers or ask your immigration authority or a Migration Advice Centre (MBE).  

As soon as you have decided for one provider, you can just go there with your certificate of eligibility and sign in personally.