Do I have a right to the parental allowance/plus?

In order to receive the parental allowance, you must fulfil the following prerequisites:

  • You have a permanent settlement permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis), a permanent residence permit for the EU or another residence permit which allows for employment
  • You care for and raise your child yourself after it is born
  • You live with your child in the same household
  • You do not work more than 30 hours per week (only for ElterngeldPlus)

People with a temporary residence permit (Aufenthaltsgestattung) or toleration (Duldung) have no right to the parental allowance (Elterngeld or ElterngeldPlus).