Looking for Accommodation
Most privately-rented accommodation is offered on online platforms on the internet. Advertisements in regional daily or weekly newspapers are another worthwhile source. It is worth asking property management companies or housing cooperatives and apply for accommodation.
The internet and property pages in various daily and local newspapers can be helpful when looking for accommodation. Here are some examples of where you can look for available accommodation:
- on property websites (e. g. Immobilienscout24) and private classifieds adverts online (e. g. eBay Kleinanzeigen.de)
- on websites of daily newspapers (e. g. Immobilienmarkt (Property Market) Süddeutsche Zeitung, Immobilienmarkt Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung)
- in letting agencies of regional property management companies, housing cooperatives or housing associations
- An estate agent may be helpful for you in looking for accommodation. However, you will have to pay for this service. To successfully secure the property, you will have to pay commission (typically two months' rent).
- If you have found a suitable offer, you should quickly contact the landlord to make an appointment to view it. It is a good idea to have all the necessary documents ready and take it with you to the viewing appointment.
Do you need help looking for accommodation? An MBE Advice Centre located in the region can advise you on whom you can ask for help with looking for accommodation.
For people with a low income it is also worth looking up the responsible residential or housing office which has a responsibility for allocating social housing properties.