What is a Wohn­berechti­gungs­schein (certificate of eligi­bility for social housing)?

In many cities and regions, people with low incomes, students or unemployed people can rent social housing. These properties are financially subsidised by the state and often cost less than properties on the open market. Some social housing properties require a Wohnberechtigungsschein (certificate of eligibility for social housing). You can apply for one of these from your responsible  registration office. They will assess your income capacity to establish if you are entitled to a certificate of eligibility for social housing.