Who is entitled to the child allowance?
In Germany, aside from German citizens, the following people have a right to the child allowance:
- People from the EU and the EEA (European Economic Area)
- People from states with which an applicable treaty exists (Turkey, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia)
In addition, people with the following residence permits have a right to the child allowance:
- Permanent settlement permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis)
- Permanent EU residency
- EU blue card
- Residence permit with permission to work (please note the exceptions below)
- People with the following are not eligible:
- Residence permit for studies
- Residence permit for an apprenticeship
- Temporary residence permit (Aufenthaltsgestattung)
- Toleration (Duldung)
You can also get advice via chat or at an MBE (Migrationsberatung [Immigration counselling]) office. Family counselling agencies can also provide information about the child allowance.